Friday, July 18, 2008

Mike Ely: "The Sale of Budweiser: Memories of Beer Lovers, Hemp Farmers & Bloody Revolution"


A great T. G. I. F. post for the weekend!

Mike Ely gives us a short synopsis of his pre- Civil War historical research:

[excerpt] "Ok, I admit it. I’m not your usual observer. When I heard that Budweiser had been bought by the Euro-capitalists InBev, I was not concerned. I don’t care who owns the factories in the U.S. I don’t worry the U.S. heartland is being infiltrated by foreign interests. And certainly, I don’t consider Budweiser a national treasure. The truth is that it’s almost undrinkable. But my ears perked up when I read how Budweiser’s maker, Anheuser-Busch had roots in St. Louis that went back before the Civil War. Ah, my friends, THERE is a story worth telling. And I’m going to sit back in the damp heat of this Chicago evening, sip on a couple of Fat Tires, and tell it to you, just because I hate patriotic bullshit and because I love revolution. ..." Read more and Cheers!

No comments: