Friday, September 28, 2012

The George Kenney Interview: "The Passion of Bradley Manning' with author Chase Madar" @ Electric Politics

Dear Michael,

I hate to find myself in disagreement with Daniel Ellsberg and Ray McGovern and many other such venerable persons of the anti-war movement but I just don't see Bradley Manning as a hero. A tragic figure, yes. Helpful, perhaps. An example to be emulated, not at all. Here, Chase Madar makes a return visit to EP to talk about his latest book, The Passion of Bradley Manning: The Story of the Suspect Behind the Largest Security Breach in U.S. History (O/R Books, 2012). Chase and I have a friendly discussion in which he is probably wrong and I am probably right but I wouldn't make a big deal out of it either way. The fact is, governments have always maintained secrets and governments always will. Chase and I wholeheartedly agree, however, that the USG's treatment of Manning has been horrible, almost certainly illegal, and that if justice were done his treatment would be taken into account during his court martial. We know, of course, it won't be.

In short, the Manning case involves difficult issues worth sorting through. This may not exactly be a test of realistic mentation but the logic cuts uncomfortably close.

As always, thanks very much for listening!

Best,

g.




No comments: