Thursday, April 26, 2012

Mikey Weinstein's Military Religious Freedom Foundation

MRFF FEATURED
BY LA PROGRESSIVE

Monday, April 23, 2012

Selected Article Excerpts:

  • Every once in a while you come into contact with someone with a special something. Sometimes it's a unique talent, perhaps in one of the arts. Sometimes its a gift for writing or speaking. Whatever it is, when it is on display, it sets them apart – it makes them memorable and oftentimes admirable. This week I came into contact with such a person. His name is Mikey Weinstein.

  • For a half hour, during a telephone interview conducted on a whim, I sat transfixed as I listened to Weinstein explain why he refuses to be a snowflake in an avalanche – a metaphor he used to describe what he sees as a pervasive disregard of the constitutionally guaranteed civil rights of United States armed forces personnel and veterans by their command. He lays out a well crafted detailed explanation of this claim in his book, No Snowflake In An Avalanche – a book I read over the weekend and one that I highly recommend.
  • [He] discovered that widespread systemic religious persecution was being tolerated at the highest levels at the U.S. Air Force Academy. Says Weinstein, "I initially learned about it when Mel Gibson's the Passion of the Christ came out. But then I began to see that we are in a war that very few people know about. The fundamentalist Christian Taliban is inside the U.S. Military and it is creating an internal national security threat."
  • Both in the book and in my interview, Weinstein gave examples of the kinds of incidents reported to him by well over 27,000 active duty United States soldiers, sailors, Marines, airmen, cadets and midshipmen, veterans, coast guard, and national guard reservists. [...] Through these military personnel, he learned about a fighter pilot who lost his wings simply because he refused to bow to Jesus during a prayer; U. S. Air Force Nuclear Missile Launch officers being trained at Vandenberg Air Force Base on how to launch missiles interspersed with biblical scripture; many thousands of military rifles with biblical scripture embedded in their metal casings; Marine scout sniper units bearing flags with the Nazi SS emblem just below the American flag; young cadets being lured into cults; and the list goes on.

  • Says Weinstein, "With regard to the arc of justice in my life, I started out at point A where I made a commitment that wherever I saw anti-semitism I'd stamp it out. Now I'm at point B, when I see unconstitutional religious persecution of any stripe, I don't care if I live or die, I'm not going to stand by and let it happen."

Click here to read this
article at LA Progressive

Click for more info and to purchase
"No Snowflake In An Avalanche"


SUPPORT MRFF!

Your Generous Support Allows us to Continue
our Fight in the Courts and in the Media

No comments: