Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My Depression – or Ours? - by Tom Engelhardt



You know I like Tom, especially so because he publishes my favorite Chalmers Johnson usually first before anyone on the net, but this post is sortta pathetic.

[excerpt] ... Last January, I even posted an essay by Chalmers Johnson, bluntly entitled "Going Bankrupt," suggesting that we were fast heading the way of Argentina 2001. I've certainly long been convinced that we were spinning out of control, that this was madness, and that we were, in some fashion, heading down.
But a near global financial collapse and crash in a matter of weeks? I can't claim that such a possibility even crossed my mind. And anyway, who can ever claim that learned and lived history bear much relation to each other any more than do the experiences of reporting and being reported upon?
That was a thought, a construct. This is my life. That was so much writing on the page. This is the world I'm sending my children into (which depresses me more than anything). I find I have no particular faith that, in the worst of times, the best of things will happen. ...


The possibility crossed my mind several times and I wrote and talked about it with many of my friends. How could people not think about it with energy scarcity, wars for oil, climate change and above all writers and scholars like Chalmers Johnson, Noam Chomsky and Naomi Klein telling us the obvious among others?

The solution is rather simple - perhaps that's why no one who believes in capitalism likes it.

Shut down every damn military base outside the United States, bring the troops home now.

Move troops into what is left of the automobile factories and if necessary seize them at gunpoint, and re-tool the plants to make electric cars, electric solar kits for homes and businesses and anything else that will crank out de-centralized electricity.

Bust up the utility companies and the state legislatures that cut sweetheart deals and prevent net metering, where individuals can sell the electricity generated on their homes and businesses back to the power companies.

Use the money saved from cutting back the military toward building universal health care out-patient clinics and hospitals, schools and funding free merit-based education for all. Turn all that money loose on building sustainable food production domestically and re-vamping mass transportation systems, including the railroads.

It all begins with cutting the military budget by at least half, if not more, immediately.

What do we have editors for, if not to read the good articles first, before the public? I'm depressed, alright, read My Depression – or Ours? - by Tom Engelhardt

No comments: