Friday, April 13, 2007

Euro Hits 2-Year High Versus Dollar | TIME

A hollowed out economy where "free market" imports out pace exported manufactured goods, a bloated "defense" budget (coupled with a "broken" Army), a cut throat international energy market, a housing "bubble" bursting in mortgaged homes (along with the housing developers in suburban "sprawl") and a "perfect storm" of economic depression is swirling into the mix.

Excuse me, I have to worry about getting to heaven with my preacher, talk about Imus getting fired and watch American Idol tonight, then tomorrow morning take my kid to the mall and buy some more plastic junk.

3 comments:

Scorpio said...

I put most of my 401(k) into foreign funds, heavily European. This was, indeed, the right move. They have been pretty steadily gaining.

Michael Caddell said...

Unfortunately, the Europeans will be one of those samll entities to suffer from an Iranian demand destructo "shock and awe" bombing campaign. I would agree with Chomsky on this, about "control" over energy reserves being different that ownership. While he rates the possibility of such a robot driven offensive as 50/50 at best, I predict a bigger probability, more like 75/25 "for" a high tech, high yield campaign driven by the ease of the operation. Ease in that there would be few if any immediate American casualties. A stupid short sighted gamble to lose another campaign, but air bombing is always that way. I'd dump any paper, put it into solid stuff.

Scorpio said...

The whole frickin world is going to suffer if we bomb Iran -- the countries that import from there, and us when the other countries decide to boycott us and sell to Iran's former customers instead, among others.

I have a horrible feeling we are headed for the tubes, and that even impeaching the Crazy People isn't going to be enough.