Friday, August 12, 2011

George Kenney: "Podcast interview - The 'debt ceiling' crisis w/ Charles Tiefer " @ Electric Politics

Dear Michael,

The so-called "debt ceiling" crisis proves, I think, that Mr. Obama can't be trusted. But beyond our disappointment in him, and beyond the particular policy issues, this crisis also proves that the American political system is breaking down. And by the time everybody starts talking about that people will also say 'oh, we knew it all along.' But the fact is, we're developing new ideas about what America should be like. These are exciting times...

In any case, to talk about the "debt ceiling" I turned to Charles Tiefer, formerly the General Counsel of the U.S. House of Representatives (1993-1994). I'd like to claim that nothing Charles said surprised me but, actually, his perspective is invaluable in making sense of what will prove to be -- I'm certain -- a huge political mistake shared by all sides.

This is one of the most interesting interviews I've done. I hope you find time to listen and that you enjoy it too.

Best,

g.

No comments: